Again, based on experience in using Craigslist for almost 5 years and leaning on the side of caution, here’s my tips for sellers.
- Try not to have people come into your home to view the item(s) you are selling. If the item is large and they have to come in, be sure to have another adult with you (family member, neighbor, friend). I never had my wife show anything we were selling by herself. Also, one of our friends who was selling items always asked her neighbor to come over when someone was suppose to come see the sale item.
- If the items are small and mobile, place them in your car and meet the buyer at a parking lot. Many of the items I sold that were portable I would place in the back on my CR-V and schedule buyers to meet me in my parking lot of my office building during lunch.
- If you can’t meet the buyer in a public place and the items are portable, set them up in the front porch/driveway and have your doors to your home locked and still have another person with you.
- Have enough small bills to make change – you don’t want to sell something for $28 and have the buyer say they only have a $20 and a $50 and try to get you to take $20 since you can’t make change for the $50!
- I’d recommend NOT selling real jewelry or other valuable/collectibles on Craigslist. It just doesn’t seem safe to have someone meet you knowing that you have a diamond ring, gold necklace or antique silver for sale!