From eating out less to cutting out bills, here are some tips to trim your personal budget to increase your monthly cash flow or ability to save. As the economy still works (and works and works?) to rebound, read some industry articles with suggestions on how best you can increase your cash flow/savings/net worth just by modifying your lifestyle.
Look at the different areas of your budget to find room to cut:
- Cancel duplicate services like land-line and cell phone services.
- Eliminate premium channels or drop cable all together.
- Wash only full loads of clothing and dishes and install a programmable thermostat.
- Wash clothing in cold water and do not heat dry in the dishwasher.
- Review and adjust the temperature setting in your fridge and freezer.
- Use fans (ceiling fans are great) to circulate the air and you should not have to run the air conditioner as much.
- Carpool with coworkers or neighbors who work close to where you do.
- Consider selling one car, if you have multiple cars. Or adjust car insurance premiums for older cars.
- Use public transportation.
- Try biking places instead of always driving.
- Bring lunches to work, instead of eating out.
- Double dinner recipes and freeze the excess for a later meal.
- Go meatless: Once a week, skip the meat at dinner and pocket the savings.
For more tips and details about how to shrink your bottom line, here are a few articles for reference: